A Sacred Moment


Marylou G Mulanax

November 24, 1933 - March 18, 2011

She held on to her faith and love for her family...

Marylou G. Mulanax went to heaven to be with Jesus on March 18, 2011. She was a brave and courageous woman who battled, and beat three cancers! She held on to her faith and love for her family, until she died peacefully from respitory failure at Providence Hospital in Everett . Her two daughters, and many family and friends were by her side.

Marylou had a bright light for life with a heart full of compassion for all. She was a person who put the needs of others before herself. Her greatest joy came from raising her two daughters Michelle and Rhonda. She watched them grow to be successful young women with families of their own. Her heart’s delight was spending time, and taking care of, her four grand-children: Caitlin (the princess) and her three little princes, Grady, Ty and Christopher.

Marylou was born on November 24, 1933 in Milesville, South Dakota to Fred and Ethel Betts. She was the third youngest of seven children. The family moved to Kirkland, Washington when she was about two years old. Marylou grew up in the Rose Hill area. Her mother died when she was seven years old. The responsibilities of cooking and cleaning were thrust upon her and her sisters. She did the best she could to help keep her family afloat. She learned and used the character qualities she developed as a young child throughout her life time. She was an excellent role model to her own girls’. She taught them to be resourceful, determined and persevering, women throughout the challenges of life.

When Marylou became a young woman she left home for California. She settled in Eureka, California and began working as a cocktail waitress. She loved to tell her girls stories of when she worked at the “Club Deluxe”, a well known, and exclusive club in Eureka in the 1950’s and 60’s. Here she waited on such celebrities as Jack LaLane, and James Arness, (Marshall Dillon of Gunsmoke). She also met her future husband, Roy Earl Mulanax, who worked there as a bartender. They married in 1959 and made their first home in Eureka, California.

Marylou and Roy wanted some adventure in their lives. They thought they might find that in Seattle, Washington. They decided to come to Seattle during the World’s Fair of 1962. Being newly married and no children yet, it seemed a great idea. They brought their two best friends along with them, Tony and Phyllis Wheeler. After working the fair as a waitress and a bartender, they realized life was not much more glamorous in Seattle, than back home in Eureka, so there they returned. Here they started their family. Marylou and Roy had two daughters, Michelle Yvonne, and Rhonda Lynn.

Marylou and Roy eventually moved permanently to Washington in 1969. They now had their two girls, and Roy was seeking more stable employment in the growing Aerospace Industry. They settled in the Everett area. Roy took a job as an Aerospace Machinist and Marylou continued her work in the food service industry. She worked as a cook and a Kitchen Manager for many years. Her places of employment included the Everett Golf and Country Club, John Fluke Manufacturing, and King 5 Broadcasting. She truly enjoyed “taking care” of the people there by preparing her wonderful meals. She was equally appreciated for her friendly rapport with the customers, and for running an organized kitchen.

During the remainder of her life Marylou worked hard to make sure that her girls’ were well provided for and knew that they were loved. She coached the soccer team, when no other parent would take it on. Just so her girls could play the game they loved. She led campfire and brownie groups for the same reason. Her girls knew she would always find a way to be there for them.

Later in life, when her girls were grown and no longer needed to be taken care of, she found another calling, taking care of the elderly. She worked in Adult Family Home Care taking great joy and pride in caring for the residents who lived there. She eventually opened her own business as an Adult Family Home provider. The residents she served in her home received the utmost attention and care she could give. She retired from work in 1999, and sold her home. She moved to a Senior Mobile Home Park and enjoyed living the last thirteen years of her life involved with her family, friends, grandchildren and church. She will be dearly missed by all.

She leaves behind her surviving siblings, Ethel, Ardie and Jerry, her two daughters Michelle and Rhonda, her grandchildren, Caitlin, Grady, Ty and Christopher, and her be-loved son-in-laws Patrick and Sean.


Memorial Services will be held on Saturday, May 7th, 2011 at 12 p.m. at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Everett. Reception to follow.


Remembrance donations may be made to Providence Regional Medical Center of Everettor United Way of Snohomish County at Marylou’s request.


"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you...

...they're supposed to help you discover who you are."

--Bernice Johnson Reagon

Char BarrettMComment